Thursday 4 September 2014

Photos: Indian girl marries dog in lavish wedding ceremony


You know, there are things I read about these people that makes me want to talk but ‘cos I have a lot of them as colleagues in the office I am forced to hold my peace. Some culture’s is just so bizarre, wicked, devilish…:-) An 18-year-old Indian girl Mangli Munda has married a stray dog as part of a tribal ritual designed to ward off an evil spell. Mangli Munda, from a remote village in the eastern Indian state of Jharkhand, wed the canine in a lavish ceremony.

At the wedding ceremony, people danced to traditional drumming, while around 70 relatives and local villagers attended the wedding. The baffled dog, Sheru, a stray found by the girl's father, was brought to the wedding in a chauffeur driven car and welcomed by revellers.

The wedding was organised by village elders after a local guru told Mangli’s parents that the teenager possessed ill-luck and that marrying a man would bring destruction to the family and her community.
Mangli, who has not been to school, said she was not happy to wed a dog, but insisted that it will help change her fortunes:

'I am marrying a dog because the village elders believe that my evil spell will be passed on to the dog. After that is done, the man I will marry will have a long life.
My villagers say that many girls like me have followed this ritual and they have gotten rid of their evil spells and are living happy lives now.  I will also be free to marry a man of my dreams after after the evil spell is over.'
I will marry a man one day. It is the dream of every girl to marry a prince charming. So I am also waiting for my prince.' 




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...